Wednesday 21 January 2009

Sundance Watch – ‘I Love You Philip Morris’

Although this film was on my radar (mainly due to Carrey's and *swoon* Ewan's involvement), the prospects of a gay centred film written by the ‘Bad Santa’ people filled me with dread.

I figured we would be getting another ‘laugh at the gays’ movie.

Apparently I may be a little wrong.

John Anderson from Variety has this to say:
“Less of a comedy than a hilarious tragedy, "I Love You Phillip Morris" stars Jim Carrey in his most complicated comedic role since "The Cable Guy" and as a character so criminal and gay it will leave auds both laughing and stunned. The rawness of the script by helmers Glenn Ficarra and John Requa and sexual bluntness of Carrey and Ewan McGregor's onscreen romance could limit the film's exposure, but curiosity about Carrey's "conversion" will be a big draw. And no one can say that all involved weren't swinging for the fences.”
So now I am VERY curious as I really like Carrey as an actor and I love Ewan….oh my Ewan I do love you.

And it is about time we had some sexual bluntness….you would think people were a bunch of nuns.

How big will this be though? I can smell a Golden Globe for Carrey, but what will the overall critical response be?

Oscar Prospects:
Best Screenplay

No comments: