Monday 19 January 2009

Mini Review - 'Revolutionary Road'

If I ever become an actor I am definitely going to start an affair with my director so I am photographed as beautifully as Sam Mendes did wife Kate Winslet.

While watching this very dark and depressing film I was not overly drawn to the story or the characters aside from the basic 'I am so on Aprils side with this'.
But a strange thing happened.
I have not been able to stop thinking about the film.

True it sheds a dark and unhappy light on relationships and the pressures they come up against, but it also makes the viewer take a look at themselves and the relationships they are or have been in.

The idea of living a life you are raised to think is normal only to find it is not what you want, and you are trapped in the confines you have yourself created is something most of us can relate to.
April Wheeler (Winslet) feels trapped. She loves her children, but regrets having them so young. She loves her husband, but also blames him for allowing them both to get trapped in this life she doesn't want. She had wanted to be an actress but was not that good. Instead she uses what talent she has to feign interest in her well meaning but dull neighbours.
No one expects women to feel this way. Even today women are supposed to desire children from an early age, and then love their lives after they have them, but in all honestly, that is hardly ever the case.
Frank (Leonardo DiCaprio) is in a job he doesn't like, in a place he doesn't like living and sees no way out. His wife is unhappy and constantly picks fights with him, and he in turn goads her by not allowing her time to be angry or silent.

Both actors deliver great performances, each going down to dark and cruel places to bring these two broken people to life (as much as they can). Winslet, in particular has a difficult time of making each mood shift believable. However both are let down a little by some screenplay and directorial decisions which seem to never allow them (especially DiCaprio) to completely get under their characters skin, therefore making it hard to invest in either character (this could be mainly because I related to April and not Frank - the bf was completely the opposite and said he though Winslet was the weaker link). The first few moments of the film see the couple having a screeching argument in the car, but as a viewer, you do not know these characters well enough to take it as more than an actors showcase piece. Perhaps some more time showing the deterioration would have fixed this.
There were many times at the begining where I just wished these two would just shut the f*ck up. Perhaps a more fluid screenplay would have ironed out these sometimes completely unrealistic outbursts, or at least, allowed the viewer to understand the characters more, so when they do pick each other apart there is more of a back story to draw from.
As I got to know April, however, this didn't matter so much. She may have been overly emotional and cruel but this is a wonderful portrait of a woman who, through marriage, domesticity and motherhood has lost her identity.

However, criticisms aside, 'Revolutionary Road' has stayed with me making me think about myself and why I think the way I do, how I am similar to these people, and how I need to change. It is like low cost therapy.

B+

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for 'your take' on Revolutionary Road it was a pleasure to read...I have also just viewed the movie and went online to see why it 'stayed with me' also......it reminded me of my own marriage really....and how when you first fall in love with that special someone........somehow a decade down the road after kids, fights and buying into the bullshit that that marriage and surbubia is whats normal healthy and all that you need. That you really find out that its not as 'satisfactory' as it was sold as. My husband believes that the rewards of choosing such a lifestyle come when you sit back and watch your grandkids playing.......but how many times do women have to fake and make nice and then cry at the kitchen sink and how many times does the man have to forgive just to keep his idea of family alive?

Thanks

Sydneysider

Michael Parsons said...

Thank you so much for that. It is something that I have been toying with in my head for a while now. Why must I buy a home and settle down? There is a whole world to see, so why not see it?
Even in gay relationships these questions come up. Doing what is best for the relationship, no matter how scary it seems, or staying put in the dull but easy 'now' and hoping for the best.

Who knows if Frank and April would have lasted together in France, but at least they would have tried and it would have been both their decisions.

mB said...

If you want a bit more backstory you should probably check out the book (which oddly is mostly seen through Frank rather than April's side).

For me, actually the fact that we got no backstory was refreshing - I hate it when screenplays/books don't trust their audience. I think we get enough nuggets to flesh the character and lives ourselves, which makes their fights almost as frustrating for us as for them.

Michael Parsons said...

I would have liked to see a bit more deterioration really.
I would like to have had a better idea of Franks frustration and Aprils waking up to the life she has begun.
I agree too much back story can kill a fil, but I wish I could have seen them in love, before the prospect of Paris came up, so I can fully invest with the 'how is was, how it is, and how it could be' of their lives.

I think I needed this more for Frank than for April (I sometimes have a hard time relating to men)

Notas Sobre Creación Cultural e Imaginarios Sociales said...

Great review Mike. The movie has stayed with me as well and I think this effect is what gives it so many award chances.
Something about it haunts you, even when you are aware that the film is very flawed and not as good as it could've been.
But for me, it wasn't April or even Frank, it was their children that stayed with me even if they're barely onscreen (I don't even remember their names).
I think I'm far too young to worry about relationships, marriage and all that crap so in the Wheelers not only did I see a cautionary tale for the future, but also gained empathy for my parents. What April does made me be less selfish when it comes to my relationship with them.