Monday 19 January 2009

Mini Review - 'In Bruges'

Yes it is true.
I have finally seen the film that everyone has gone on about as the surprise of the year. The film that kind of came out of nowhere that has ended up winning it's star a Golden Globe and garnering critical praise and a loyal fan base.

And yes, I liked it very very much.

I found it funny, refreshing, touching and boasting some truly wonderful acting turns.

I hate doing the typical review...you know, plot, critique, performances, so I will do this one differently.

What better way to do it than bullet point.

Good:
* The screenplay manages to combine tension, witty dialogue and lip quivering emotion with ease...a difficult task.

* Colin Farrell has never been better. A career defining performance.

* Ralph Fiennes was brilliant. He made me forget 'The English Patient' ! A feat unto itself.

* Brendan Gleason has painted his character with such subtle shades that he become a flesh and blood man.

* The pacing was fantastic, always kept you riveted to the screen..
Bad:
* The midget/dwarf was funny and all, and served as a plot devise, but almost took away from the story.

* The hotel owner seemed to be getting developed for something that never happened. I felt a bit cheated.
And that is it. Rent it now
B+

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

God I love Farrell so much. Ugh. He is so good in this, a fantastic film altogether.