Sunday 22 February 2009

Most Anticipated - Picture

These are the films that most tickle my fancy in the upcoming year. Will any be nominated for Oscar? Who can say? Do I want to see all of these? HELL YEAH!


'9'
I am not a Tim Burton fan, but there was something in the trailer that made me think this would be a film with something to say. I do love my haunting animation.

'Avatar'
James Cameron makes a film after 12 years and it is supposedly going to blow the way we look at cinema out of the water. I am so there.

'The Box'
I was not ready to give up of Richard Kelly after the poor response to his last effort. This has the potential to be one of the best films of the year.

'The Cove'
After being raved at Sundance I for one am there. Any environmentally aimed slice of cinema is going to get me excited, even if this is sometimes to harrowing to watch.

'Gake no ue no Ponyo' ('Ponyo on a Cliff')
If your imagination has no bounds and you want to be transported to another world, this is supposed to be the film for you. Anything by Hayao Miyazaki is a must see.

'Los Abrazos Rotos'
Pedro + Penelope in a drama/thriller. Do I need to explain why this is going to be one of 2009's hot tickets?

'The Lovely Bones'
The book was wonderful. In the hands of Peter Jackson who can tell a drama ('Heavenly Creatures') superbly and who has no end to his imagination, this should be special.

'Nine'
The all star cast, the prestige, the music. Everyone who is anyone is at least curious as to how this will play.

'Push: Based on a novel by Sapphire'
Duh. I am not expecting perfection at all, but I am expecting to be moved. And that can do so much more.

'Taking Woodstock'/'A Little Game'
The Woodstock film or the relationship film? Either one is going to be an event. Ang has not directed a bad film yet.

'The Tree of Life'
Terrence Malick knows how to direct a lyrical and beautiful film. I just look forward to being able to sit back and take it all in.

'Up'
Pixar comes out with a new film. This should be on everyone's list.

'Watchmen'
Most likely the biggest film even of the year for the masses. Will Snyder come out victorious. More importantly will it dominate the box office?

'Where The Wild Things Are'
Be prepared to re-live your childhood.

'X-Men Origins: Wolverine'
I love the X-Men stories so I am totally excited about this. Plus any excuse to gawk at Hugh.

No comments: