Sunday 22 February 2009

Happy Oscars!!!

Well tonight we will find out who wins what. Of course my predictions will not come true (I am from the 'wishful thinking' line of voting) but I hope they at least reflect the Academy in that there will be some major surprises.

This season has left a bad taste in my mouth.

Firstly, and I know I am not alone with this, there is only one film in the top 5 that really and truly deserves to be there.
In a few years time we will all look back on this year and I am pretty sure 'Milk' will still hold up ('WALL-E', 'The Dark Knight', 'The Wrestler' and 'Waltz With Bashir' will most likely still be revered in a few years time too) but the others....well, I guess they were easy to put down as 'best' of the year since they give the illusion of prestige. Upon closer inspections and distance all the cracks will appear.

The other thing that has left a bad taste, and I will probably be alone with this, is Kate Winslet.

I love the woman.

I really think she deserves to win an Oscar, and probably should have done a few year ago. I could fully rally behind her has she been nominated for 'Revolutionary Road' and could even smile when she (most likely) gets up on stage to accept the Best Actress Oscar for 'The Reader' had she not been so desperate for the award.
If Oscar had a dick, Kate would be sucking it.

Of course there are many many people who whore themselves out for an Oscar, but Kate has made her desire so public.
I mean type in 'Kate Winslet Wants Oscar' in Google and a gazillion interviews will come up with her saying just that.

This year it almost seems to me like if she wins, the Academy is freely admitting that these awards have nothing to do with the 'best' (we know this anyway, but knowing and admitting are vastly different) and, indeed can be bought and begged for.

I like my actors making great movies and delivering great performances. When and if they loose out on awards, they go on and continue to make great movies and deliver great performances.
They do not complain about being nominated and not winning. I do not want to hear about their disappointment...there are bigger fish to fry, and you crying about not winning a little gold award, when there is so much going on in the world, is just so selfish and ugly.

I mean, for six years, Kate Winslet has been singled out as one of the five best lead actresses of the year. Nothing to really complain about in the end. Sure the award would be nice, but it ain't like she is starving.

Well after tonight (or tomorrow morning for me) Kate will most likely have an Oscar and be able to concentrate on being herself.
The greedy monster I have seen lately will be subdued.

1 comment:

S said...

Completely agree with everything you're saying about Ms. Winslet, and this years film in general.

I guess it just confirms that Ricky Gervais is a psychic, what else from Extras is going to come true?