Monday 23 July 2007

Mini Review - Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

So I totally loved the new Harry Potter movie.

I am not a huge fan of the series, and have never read any of the books.
I know, I know, that confession will leave me a social pariah.
Because of this fact, I am not all too excited and preoccupied with plot details, and page to screen adaptation decisions.
I know there is ALOT left out in the movie, and alot has been made of the fact that this is the shortest movie, but the longest book.
For me, whatever was left out works for the film. What I do want to outline is the good and the bad of the film.

The Good

Imelda Staunton – This is an awards worthy supporting performance. This could have been played as totally one note, but she dug deeper.
You totally see the twisted, power hungry and black heart just under the surface of her pink and happy exterior of Dolores Umbridge.
She is a flower covered volcano already seething out toxic sulphuric smoke, and ready for her internal hell to break loose.

Evanna Lunch – She really made me smile whenever she was on screen. Portraying the dippy ‘away with the faeries’ new girl on the block, but also showing an intelligent depth as someone who really does not care that everyone thinks she is strange.

Helena Bonham Carter – Oh I wish she had more screen time.
Her Bellatrix Lestrange was a wonderful mix of sexiness and crazy, as only Carter can do.

She was evil and mad just for the sake of being evil and mad.
You could tell in her eyes that she would get real enjoyment out of killing you.
I cannot wait to see more of her in films to come.
Imagine Marla Singer from “Fight Club”, but only incredibly evil, and with magic powers. Brilliant!

Rupert Grint, Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson – Age has made them all better actors, and for that I am truly happy. I hardly had to cringe.

The tone – It was dark, and it was frightening. I honestly believed, for the first time in the series, that the children were in danger. Hats off to David Yates for very assured direction.

Art Directors – Breath taking…wonderful work

The Bad

Emma Thompson, Maggie Smith, Alan Rickman and Julie Walters – Far too little screen time for such amazing actors. I know it is the books fault, but the film sparkles when they are on screen.

Cho Chang – Really? What that it for her?

Draco Malfoy – I know he has a point in the series, but I do not see it. After all this time should he not realise that Harry is better than him and should really join his team? Plus tom Felton is just terrible.

The effects – “Narnia” did Centaurs better. LOTR did giants and little scary ork like people MUCH better. Bring it on effects people.

Other than that, this was a really wonderful little ride. I am so glad that the movies have finally grown up.
Really looking forward to the 7th instalment!! B-

2 comments:

J.D. said...

Stuart Craig (Prod. Designer) is awesome as hell, isn't he?

feenixboi said...

surely you mean 6th installment (seeing as you aren't reading the books)...