Thursday 8 January 2009

Mini Review ‘Happy-Go-Lucky’

Well Mike Leigh has done it again. Perhaps the WGA and DGA feel that his methods do not warrant praise, but indeed they do. H is the one who controls the film, not letting it spiral out of control.

As you all know, the film centres around Poppy, a bright funny and outgoing woman who tries to bring a little smile to the people around her.
Some people find her annoying both in the film and as an audience, while others embrace her cheery outlook on like.

Luckily I am the latter. Living in London gave me an entirely different perspective on the film. I see all those miserable angry people every single day and boy do I wish I could see a Poppy during my daily commute.

Sally Hawkins in a sensation in this. You can see the hidden sadness she feels for those around her beneath her smile. She is not just a simple clown, she knows she is not every ones cup of tea and will eventually back off from trying to bring joy to the joyless, but not for want of trying. The layers Hawkins brings to the role are mind boggling. She is a fully fledged human being. My bf looked over to me halfway through the film and said “I want to know her”. That I how good Hawkins is, you believe Poppy is real…there is no higher compliment I can give than that.

Equally as good in the film is Eddie Marsan as Scott, the angry driving instructor who feels tormented by Poppy’s constant jokes and laughter.
He brings such sorry and back story in his outbursts, and although you hate him at times, and laugh at him, you see him through her eyes and enormous sympathy is evoked.
I would not be surprised to see his name come up when the Oscars are announced.

One of my favourites was Alexis Zegerman who is absolutely brilliant as Zoe, Poppy’s best friend and flat mate. She has invested so much back story into the role, that you feel you understand their entire friendship. She is the one who seems to know that Poppy too had a dark place, and perhaps only she has seen it. It is such a shame she has not been noticed more this awards season, then again she has had no big emotional scene, she is a true supporting character.

Also I must not Forget a Kate O’Flynn in the small role of Poppy’s little sister Suzy. In a few small scenes she completely defines her character and her relationship to her sister….wonderful work.

I am going to take the Poppy attitude, or at least try to. Mike Leigh has helped create a character for the ages, a person who just wants to spread a little happiness to the people she encounters. A scene where she encounters a homeless man, she does something unthinkable to most people. She talks to him, and listens.

This is a story that makes you take a long hard look at yourself and asks you the question: Are you a Poppy or are you a Scott?

A

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gosh how true. I went to see this with my sister, and she is so a 'Scott' type of person and she hated Poppy. And like Scott, should wouldn't even acknowledge the mirror being held up.

Michael Parsons said...

I agree, but those not liking the film would not. Christ I admit that she would annoy me, but I still want her as a friend.

I may have to change the grade to an A. The more I think about it, the better it seems.

Anonymous said...

I LOVED this one! And of course it reminded me of my first home, London. LOL, very glad I didn't try driving over on your side of the pond!! We could certainly use some Poppy energy over here is cold, uptight New England.