Tuesday 6 January 2009

Mini Review – ‘Tropic Thunder’

So we sat down and watched the movie that so many people have raved about.
It bored me.
Well I have to give Robert Downey, Jr. props as he was excellent and hysterical in the role. I can understand all the buzz around him getting an Oscar nomination, although he would not make my ballot (or at least I hope I see some better performances this year).

However the rest of the film was just a big pile of poo.
I laughed at Robert Downey, Jr. a few times, and I did laugh at how ridiculous the Golden Globe nomination for Tom Cruise was as he was neither engaging or funny.
Dancing in a fat suit should not get awards attention ever! Ask Courtney Cox Arquette if it worked.
I won’t review it further.

D

3 comments:

mB said...

TT was truly the unfunniest "funny" movie of 2008. How people came out thinking this was hilarious is beyond. And yes: a nomination for Tom Cruise is both dumbfounding and offensive to really good performers who missed out on a chance at recognition (I'm looking at you Milk guys & Michael Shannon!)

Michael Parsons said...

You know, I was going to get on my high horse about that too, but it was just too depressing.

The HFPA loves it's stars. And this year they have Tom Cruise, Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt attending the ceremony.

They must be happy.

Dame James said...

I actually thought Tropic Thunder was pretty funny (the beginning was extremely rough, but once they got lost in the jungle, it got better for me) but that Tom Cruise nomination is a crime against humanity. Even Ben Stiller (who I normally can't stand) was funnier than him.