Wednesday 7 January 2009

Mini Review – ‘Vicky Cristina Barcelona’

I am usually not a Woody Allen fan. There is something about looking at him that just really angers me.
Perhaps I just do not like the nebbish man.
However I will see a film of his, and I will even like them, all I ask is he not be in it.

He is not in 'Vicky Cristina Barcelona'.

I loved it.

Aside from the brilliant tornado of a performance from Penelope Cruz ( I mean who would have though that Allen dialogue would be so brilliant coming out of her mouth?), the sexy and smouldering Javier Bardem and the quiet and touching performance by Rebecca Hall (Oscar take note), the film tells an interesting story about love and life, and living for the moment. A life lived with passion may be dangerous, but it can also be far more interesting that spending your life fearful of living out your desires.

The weak link seemed to be Scarlett Johansson who although was radiant, just seemed a little lost amongst the rest of the strong cast.

Also the camera is obviously in love with Spain. The gold and orange drenched imagery evokes the majestic city better than anything I have seen.

Good job Woody, you may make a convert of me yet.

B+

2 comments:

Notas Sobre Creación Cultural e Imaginarios Sociales said...

You made me proud Sonny.
See Woody knows you dislike him so much he didn't even narrate the damn thing this time around.
I love, love, love this film as you can probably tell by now, I fell in love with Rebecca (she's my official girl crush of the year, I drooled when she appeared in "Frost/Nixon")and about Scarlett I think it's actually purposeful that she seems so lost as you say, since Woody implies that Cristina is a bit of a poser who has no idea what the hell she actually is.
She doesn't seem lost, she is lost.

Michael Parsons said...

I guess I failed a little in expressing myself with the review (hence why they are mini...not the best reviewer out there...heck most of the time I can hardly spell) I just felt that her role could have been played by a lot of other actresses, where as the other actors made such an indelible impression that I could only imagine.

Make sense?