Thursday 10 September 2009

‘Princess and the Frog’ trailer

Well much has been said about Disney’s first African American Princess, and while it should be applauded, what is even more applauding is that the ‘Prince’ is a white boy.
To quote Tracey Turnblad, “I’m all for integration!’
Actually that is not what is the most applaudable thing about this new film. What is, and only judging by this trailer, is the return to the 2D animation.
While watching this I had a feeling of nostalgia I haven’t in a long time. The swirling colours and character animation feels old and classic, as though it belongs in the era of ‘Sleeping Beauty’ and ‘Cinderella’. Time will tell if the film will be a success. In the era of 3D, will kids want to see something old school? Also the critics have not been too kind with the last few Disney 2D animation outings, with the return to roots change that?

Whatever happens, I will be seeing this, even if I have never really loved the songs by Randy Newman and have my doubts that they will particularly fit a toe tapping musical number – although also realised I could easily be proved wrong. Musical numbers with a Creole blues flavour can easily win me over.

1 comment:

Andrew K. said...

I am hoping that this is good [because of Anika Noni Rose] mostly. But returning to the roots seems like the best thing for Disney. And I am all for integration.